Sunday, February 7, 2010

Effort to Make An Effort

I'm usually of a sunny disposition, but from time to time, like many hormonally challenged young women, I get a case of the ole blues.

Now anything and I do mean anything, can trigger this feeling. Today I am simply having a lazy Sunday. I was just meeting my dad for a lunch, nothing crazy, nothing requiring attention to detail. Yet I found myself thinking 2 simultaneous thoughts "I can't look scruffy" and "I can't be arsed to make the effort". The problem is, SOOOO much goes into making yourself look good. Now if you do it with just about the right amount of effort, you can really transform how you feel about yourself. Looking good makes you feel lifted and confident. But too much effort and then you feel anxious, did i do this right, I wasn't sure about this, now I'm really not sure but it's too late to change. Not enough effort and you're still feeling a bit shitty and down in yourself.

What effort is required to pull off a perfect look is ridiculous. Gok Wan says if you are going on a night out, you should take the time to pamper every inch of your body, regardless of whether it will be shown at any point of the night, so that you feel great and that confidence will shine through. But what that involves is literally hours worth of preening. I can't believe that when I was 16 and hitting town, to go out for 8pm, i would begin to get ready at 2.30/3. I would do all of the things that precede a guarantee feel good night out. There would be the hair and make up, the choice of outfit, shoes and accessories. The waxing, the tanning, the nails, the perfume. Included in this time is washing and eating and drinking and chatting.

I sound like this is a drag..but you know what, it's becoming one. Is it because I have no one "out there" to try to impress? No, because even last night my boyfriend suggested an impromptu night out in the next town to us. Half an hour and we're ready to go babe? He says. What the frick? I don't think so mate. I had to shower, re jazz my hair, check my nail colour currently on would match my outfit. It did not, so then I had to hunt through all of my clothes to put together an outfit that would match. Then I had to think about the shoes going with my outfit and whether my top would be suitable for how I was feeling. Ie yesterday I was feeling bloated. Somehow and I think I must have gone into shock or something at the little amount of time I had (and to think I should have said "no I need more time" does not apply when the inviter is suggesting dinner, meaning he is already starving and 50% extra time would mean a right old grump and having to run in already presumed uncomfy but damn stylish KG heels. It's a no brainer - also I kind of liked the challenge to get ready in 30 mins.) as I can't really remember the process of getting ready, I was just somehow ready.

But all of that effort for a 3.5hour dinner and cocktails.

I may be on another planet, but I think if I don't make this effort to look nice, I will be letting the side down. The side that insists that you know what, you should make an effort. When you're home you can dress down- but never trackie bottom - but when you go into the public arena you should try to be a bit more snappy.

The other arena of dressing is work. I have a theory on work. None of my best clothes are assigned to this side of the wardrobe. Indeed, my work shoes are my good shoes handed down, relegated from the outside of working hours only to the between 9 and 5 only. I rarely bother with make up or my nails. If i'm wearing make up at work, its for these reasons only;
1. I'm feeling so down, i need some colour on my face to make me feel attractive
2. I feel like catching someone's eye (purely ego boost, i aint a cheater)
3. I haven't removed the make up from friday or saturday and so I've had to top it up, as this is quicker than a full make up removal session at 7am on a workday.

I think work is not the place for impressing people. Poor attitude? That's the way life goes, in my world. I like the effects to be different. A kind of no make up to obvious make up routine.

So in summary, I mostly like to make the effort, but I need a stylist to motivate and create me at the weekends. I also think men have no idea what it takes to look and feel good within yourself and more than not knowing or perhaps because of not knowing, they cannot help but under appreciate your look. However, everytime my boyfriend says Wow! You look really good, which to be fair he says most of the time we go out, I do smile to myself and I do feel like the effort was worth it, as it starts my evening off really well, even if it is not him I'm heading out with.

Did I mention I'm hormonal? I couldn't remember, but I think elements of it may show through in today's blog for some reason..

No comments:

Post a Comment