I have pondered this for some time. I have done a little research based on my symptoms and have deduced that this must be the situation I am currently in. "The condition is characterized by excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) in which a person experiences extreme fatigue and possibly falls asleep at inappropriate times, such as while at work or at school".
However, before I totally write myself off, (not that I am a drama queen you see, but it is important to recognise one's weaknesses and defects) I need to clarify the factors that led me to this prognosis.
My most recent example of this is a meeting I attended today. It was quite possibly one of the dullest and pointless meetings I have ever attended. She literally stood there and read aloud the screen, page by page. Word for word. Since an explanation on any of the content for this meeting was clearly not required, it turns out neither was her presence.
I have to admit I also felt a tad insulted. I mean do we look like a group of restless chimps or something? I could have quite simply taken a brochure and skim read it, thrown it away and been 25mins better off in my life. Instead of which I was dragged through this tedium and expected to thank the speaker endlessly for her detailed explanation with what? A hug, a broad smile and a "thank you, you'll never know how you changed my life" speech?
But the bigger problem I had was, that I simply could not stay still or awake throughout this half an hour seminar. I'm not convinced that it was the subject of the meeting that was causing my fatigue, as I once joined an Aromatherapy class for fun and during every one of the practical lessons, I was fine, but sit me down for some theory and it's Night Night Y'all. I have tried many many things to pull myself out of the drowsy state, I pinch myself and I mean hard, so hard you could practically label me a self harmer. I stretch my skin from my eyes to make my eyes water, I drink water, I drink anything, I click my pen, I rotate my ankles, I fiddle, I doodle, anything to distract myself from the boredom, but nothing nothing works. If you were to walk in on me during the middle of a meeting, I'd look like a drunk, with slurred sleepy speech, half open mouth and eyes and an inability to sit still and focus.
Thankfully in my job I am not required to attend many meetings. The meetings I do go to where I do not actively take part, seem to become an invitation for a quick nap and so there goes my chance of promotion to be honest. I have not yet tried to rid myself of this disease, as I tend to forget about it until I'm sat in the middle of a group , experiencing it.
The treatment seems to be a vast array of drugs IN PARTICULAR the date rape drug (which has surely got to be a joke or someone is very messed up) or a series of short naps. So that is it, I am going to have to start having nap breaks with the frequency that people have fag breaks and end up getting physically abused by some pervert from work, which I'll never know about. Don't tell me THAT's the way the cookie crumbles :-S
On the bright side and say I don't bother with the date rape drug...never have I felt happier to break up my already boring day with regular planned naps - hallelujah there is a god who actually cares for my well being and is going to allow my working day to be shortened. Cheers mate.
Monday, February 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment