Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones, But Actually Words Will Also Hurt Me

People who say they aren't affected by words, are liars.

If you get someone who says something hurtful, deeply hurtful or something very slight but said in a manipulative way that will inevitably irk you all day long, until you implode, those are the words that affect you.

It reminds me of an episode of Scrubs. The Janitor says to JD "You're stupid". Normally he would have a lengthy explanation of a reason to dislike JD or to insult him, so this short insult comes as a puzzling suprise to JD. He looks quizzically at The Janitor who says "Don't worry, it'll get ya". And it does. At first, he dismisses it but eventually as the day wears on, it starts to bother him, eat at him and he starts questioning himself, "Am I stupid?". He looks to colleagues for validation and it was all from one word.

I think though this was intentional, there are times when we say things to people, totally unaware of the impact it has. Particularly to sensitive people. I would say I have become more aware of other people's feelings, based on the fact that I am sensitive. I incorrectly assume everyone will be offended by something that I would be, even if that thing came out of MY mouth. So I probably apologise too much, but I wouldn't at this stage, change myself, as I think considering other people's feelings is actually, important.

No comments:

Post a Comment