Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sleep? No not me, Not I

There's a guy at my work who often says (insert as appropriate)..is for the weak. I like that. At any time, you can use that on someone, it sounds funny.

So for me, Sleep is for the weak - simply because I don't get enough of it and so I deem it as not necessary.

I find it actually impossible to go to bed early, unless I am so shattered, that I've started chilling on my bed and just fallen asleep. Most of the time it'll get to midnight and I'll be thinking about bedding down.

In the morning, I am like a wild, narky biatch who you just don't want to annoy. Let me have it all my own way in the morning, it's better for you.

I can't reason with myself, I fully know that at 6.30 that freakin alarm is going to go off and I'll be murderous. I've recently agreed to go running with a girl up the road from me. She works from home and when I told her we'd have to run at 6.45 because of the train I have to catch, she didn't bat an eyelid, despite telling me that her getting up in the morning took a tremendous amount of effort. Which is very admirable and made me think, if she is willing to put in the effort, then I really have no excuse. And yes I am starting to see the effects that running has on you, but that at this moment in time, diverts from the point. The point is, why am I doing it to myself? I spend most of my working day yawning, in fact I'm yawning now, it's 11.17pm and I'm clearly tired, but my hair is still wet and I feel like I've got a whole evening ahead of me to get through, that it would just seem early to go to bed now.

I've always been a late sleeper and a late riser. I totally abuse the days when my boss is on holiday, by getting in after 9, because I just can't face the early morning, to get in on time with no one to report to. What is the point?! Which is why I need to work for myself. I need to pick my hours. I could easily start work at 10, work til 6 and sleep at midnight. That is my idea of heaven.

I recently tried changing my hours to 8-4. All that did was put needless pressure on myself, and I realised half the time I wasn't even making it in for the times I said I would but I was still leaving at 4 :-) So gradually I realised I had begun to take the p and now for the sake of potential monitoring, I needed to alter my hours. If only I could have benefitted from it, with the lie ins. That is my sacrifice for my fitness!

What I love at the weekends, is to sit on the sofa in my cosy lounge and put on a dvd. Turn off all the lights, get a glass of wine and lie down under a fleecy blanket. It's the opitome of luxury chilling. I know the atmosphere will make me fall asleep and I'll love it because it's just what I intended to do. I'll know the dvd so I'm not missing out on a classic movie.

But again this is random sleep and it will only be for a few hours. Despite my yawning, when i get an opportunity to sleep, something prevents me from doing it. My brain wont switch off. I have thoughts in my head all day and night long, that stop me from sleeping at night.

I cannot understand people who nap in the daytime. It actually irritates me. If someone tells me they do that at the weekend, I just feel a bit riled. I see it as a waste of the day. So what if you need to catch up on sleep after a tough week? There's a whole world out there for you to see, sleep can wait, there's places to be, people to meet or see and you know what, it's not worth missing out on that just to get some kip. No i'd rather turn up and yawn in someone's face than sleep it off and see no one. Hehe.

Also you get some interesting tv at night-time. Must be for the night shifters sake. And fair enough. night shifters have boring lonely jobs and they need highlights. Like at the moment, theres some US car crash tv about Female Prisoners. These southern yanks with their grotty teeth and sucky attitudes going on about their forbidden relationships make me laugh. Why do so many of these women have mullets too? And a face full of cheap make up and nasty demeanour. It unnerves me, that this group of women are trying to be portrayed as normal women bonding when they are clearly fighters not lovers and there's little sisterhood going on here. "Some decisions were made...and she was shot" said one inmate calmly and sweetly. Ok sounds lovely....

No comments:

Post a Comment