
I have recently made an addition to my family/cat collection.
He is called Jenson and he is 7 months old.
I got Jenson randomly. After Christmas, my boyfriend and me were sitting around with not a lot to do and suddenly he said one sunday - we should get a cat, some company for Harvey when we aren't home. I thought it was a sweet idea and we had a look online and in the papers, but most avenues were unsuccessful. Finally around 5pm, we found some kittens available about an hours drive away. We threw caution to the wind and took the drive over there. There was a kitten, 8 weeks old, black and white. What we weren't expecting when we arrived was to get to a stinky farmhouse with an a vast selection of cats strewn around. Walking into the kitchen, there were no less than 17 cats; on the dining room table, on the kitchen cupboards, led on the stereo, fishing food out of the pan, lying on top of each other, scrapping. What was this scene before my eyes? To be honest, they all looked pretty well groomed, but it was just a bit overwhelming seeing that many. And if I was that woman's family, I would NEVER eat food cooked there. Out of order, cooking in that kitchen, every meal infused with cat hair. I think not.
Anyway the kitten in question, cute as you like, but docile. To the point, I wondered if maybe it was on some kind of chill out drug. You have to be careful with kittens, they are meant to be playful and lively. This kitten was sadly not. But isn't that bad, that you pick the best cat, you choose the nicest one, the other ones get left. I felt guilty about this and so was reluctant to walk away, even though there was a nagging feeling telling me something was wrong. Anyway, I hadn't at first noticed, but this other cat, smaller but definitely months old, not weeks, was all around me, miaowing and being lovely. Suddenly I took notice of him and really warmed to him. We bonded almost straightaway and I told my boyfriend, this cat is nice. The lady said I could buy him if I wanted. I felt bad for the kitten, like "sorry kit, just seen something better, you're out of the running now. peace out" but even my boyfriend couldn't deny this kitten/cat seemed to like me a lot.
So we went away with him, so so happy. On the way home, being completely unmindful of this scared kitten, we drove fast on the motorway, singing along to the radio, singing at Jenson, phoning people, putting them on loudspeaker practically screaming "we got a kitten, he's so cute!" and then suddenly, this smell. The smell of SHIT. We smelled it at the same time, I nearly veered into the next lane as the fumes filled the car. Practically choking as we carefully opened the windows a small amount, we realised how selfish we had been and chilled out a bit. Thankfully, when we got the kitten home, he had done a little, albeit stinky poo and that was all. Phew I was expecting some kind of black kitten turned brown catastrophe.
As you can imagine this kitten was pretty farm smelling. I gave him a bath, an interesting experience that I wont be repeating. It turns out I can't really handle having my arm torn to shreds. So I took him to a preener and she washed him. She also discovered that what we had mistakenly just thought were his balls, was actually SHIT, FUSED TO HIS ARSE. It was so bad, that it took several washes and some serious shaving to get it all out. Poor little mite, THAT is why he was all around me, he saw me as his way out. Never mind that he'd have an oversized male Ginger bully to contend with when on his way home. I had remembered the lady at the farm saying something about him accidentally eating puppy food and having an upset tummy. Should have listened. Wont be making the mistake of assuming hardened lump of shit on back of bum is a ball again. Tut tut.
So Jenson, 6weeks on, is a real cutie. He comes to his name now, eats like a fiend and is the type of cat who jumps on the cupboard to nick whatever's going. Wont last long though, I will make him into another Harvey. He will enjoy cuddles more and will be banned from the Kitchen.
He seems to have stopped Harvey from weeing randomly so much love to him.
Aaah
No comments:
Post a Comment